The holidays are about spending time with family and friends, and yet many families are spread out around the world. And friends often have their own family celebrations going on. For those that live alone or whose families can’t all be together, the holidays can become a bit lonely.
But with a little planning, you can be sure to have a merry and full holiday season.
- Volunteer. Surround yourself with others by volunteering for a good cause. Whether it is providing a Christmas dinner at the local shelter, handing out toys at the hospital, or helping out at the pet shelter, giving back at this time of year is an instant mood boost. Not to mention you will meet many people (and possibly pets) to spend quality time with.
- Video Chat. If you can’t be with loved ones over the holidays, video chat is the next best thing! With a simple press of a button you can join in the holiday cheer with friends and family far away. Sit down to eat together, open presents and watch the merriment unfold.
- Get Moving. Join a fitness community – be it a gym, walking group, cross-country skiing, anything that interests you. This way you will meet people with similar interests while enjoying an activity you enjoy. And getting your heartrate up will release those feel-good endorphins which will also boost your mood.
- Entertain. Reach out to others in your community that may also be alone for the holidays and host an open house. Entertaining is a great way to fill your home with holiday cheer, love and friendship.
- Join an Online Community. Amintro is the social app exclusively for those 50 plus. At Amintro you can meet people with similar interests online and then connect confidently offline within your community. By facilitating platonic friendships, we help you expand your social circles, keeping your social calendar full.
By Christine Tompa