Super Bowl 50 Cheat Sheet
Super Bowl Cheat Sheet
Super Bowl is this Sunday, February 7, 2016, and whether you’re a football fan or not, it is a great excuse to get together with friends and neighbours. After all, this event has everything – the biggest game of the year, entertainment from the industry’s biggest performers, and commercials that can hold their own amongst all this greatness.
If you’re an all-time fan, you may not need this list, although there are some fun random facts at the bottom, but if you’re joining in a Super Bowl gathering for the social aspect or are on the fence about attending one because you don’t know much about it, this cheat sheet will give you all the information you need.
About the Teams
|Teams||Carolina Panthers||Denver Broncos|
|Colors||Black and Teal||Blue and Orange|
|Will be Wearing||Black uniforms||White jerseys|
|Starting Quarterback||Cam Newton||Peyton Manning|
|Favored to Win||Favorite||Underdog|
|Offense vs. Defense||Best offense in league||Best defence in league|
|Other||Have only lost 1 game this season||Peyton Manning will be the oldest quarterback to play in the Super Bowl|
|# of Super Bowls||2nd Super Bowl||8th Super Bowl|
|National Anthem||Lady Gaga||Actress Marlee Matlin will perform the anthem in American Sign Language|
|Halftime Show – Main Performers||Coldplay||Beyonce|
|Cameo Appearances Rumoured to Include||Rihanna and Bruno Mars||Taylor Swift and Adele|
One of the best things about a Super Bowl party is that it doesn’t matter if you don’t know the other guests very well. It isn’t like standing by yourself at a cocktail party, you can simply sit and watch the game, joining in on the group conversation whenever you want. So, invite the neighbour you don’t know that well, or show up to a gathering as a friend-of-a-friend. The game is 4 hours long and over that time, you are sure to warm up, get to know the others, have a great time surrounded by new friends, and impress them with these random tidbits.
Random Super Bowl Facts
- No Super Bowl has ever gone into overtime
- Over the last 10 years, viewership of the Super Bowl has increased by 22.4 million and now reaches approximately 170 million people worldwide
- Women now account for over 45% of Super Bowl viewers
- Super Bowl Sunday is the second-largest day of food consumption, after Thanksgiving
- Advertisers will pay up to $5 million for a 30-second spot
- The age gap between this year’s quarterbacks is the largest in Super Bowl history (Newton is 26 and Manning is 39)
- Michael Oher, the inspiration for the Hollywood movie The Blind Side is the offensive tackle for the Panthers
- The Vince Lombardi Trophy is made of sterling silver by Tiffany & Co. and is valued at over $25,000
- Roman numerals are not being used for this year’s Super Bowl, Super Bowl 50, but will return next year
Whether you are watching for the football, the halftime show or the commercials, Super Bowl has something for everyone.
By Christine Tompa