Full-body stretching is super important for overall health, but today I want to focus on lower back stretches. The back is connected to everything and taking care of it is essential for reducing pain and strengthening muscles.
The first step in taking care of your back is to be gentle.
Stretching is never supposed to be painful or straining, it is supposed to be relaxing, however, it can sometimes be slightly uncomfortable if you are extremely inflexible. We mustn’t push our body past its limits. The more you stretch, the better it will feel and the better your body will feel. Guaranteed.
A few of the best lower-back stretches are below.
- Start on all fours and sink back into your hips to rest on your heels
- Hinge your hips as you fold forward while you rest your belly on your thighs
- Extend your arms forward and breathe
- Hold this pose for up to one minute
- Add a towel on top of or under your thighs or rest your forehead on a cushion
- Lie on your back and straighten your left leg
- Bring your right knee up towards your chest
- Lengthen your spine and avoid lifting your hips
- Breathe, hold for one minute and repeat with the other leg
Seated spinal twist
- Sit on the floor, bend your right knee and place that foot outside of your left thigh
- Place your left hand behind that right knee and twist to the right side
- Hold this pose for as long as it feels good and repeat on the other side
- Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor and knees bent
- Flatten your back against the floor and engage your abdominal muscles
- Breathe and hold this for a few seconds, release and repeat
- Start on all fours in a tabletop position
- Press your hands and feet into the floor as you inhale and look up
- Exhale, tuck your chin into your chest and arch your back towards the ceiling
- Breathe in and out while moving in this pattern
Until next time,
Keep living your best life,